Thursday, September 17, 2009
Students who live on campus
This is my second year at the rock and also my second year staying in the residential dorms. From what I've notice in my time here is that a lot of students who live on campus do not like staying at Slippery Rock on the weekends. By 6pm, Friday, this place is cleared out and it shouldn't be that way. I know many freshmen get homesick but when a lot of people go home, it is like a domino effect. One person goes and another and before you know it, everyone is going home. I think one of the reasons for that is because there is not much for entertainment at Slippery Rock. We have Main Street and that is basically it. I believe that the university should come up with entertaining events so that people would stay on the weekends. With tight budget and spending, I don't think that will ever happen. Someone told me once, "Slippery Rock should just be a commuter's college since no one stays on the weekends."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I understand what you mean when you said most of the freshman leave on the weekends. Im a transfer student and at my previous college many freshman went home as well. With that being said, I do believe that sru has a fair amount of entertainment. There are countless clubs to be a part of ranging from athletics to academics. Also, there are numerous places to go on the weekends if you have friends who live off campus (most students do). Maybe the reason why I feel this way is because I attended Westminster college for 1 1/2 years and there is literally no entertainment there on the weekends aside from the amish and their horse and buggies.
ReplyDeleteI noticed the same thing on friday's every friday for a whole year when I use to live at Bard Hallon campus. I find it sad in a way because those student's are not having a true "college life" as if they are scared or have not made any real college friends. This campus is truly involved in so many extracurricular activities ranging from sports related to academic related, or just trying to help others with service learning. I feel that those individual students that are leaving every friday for the weekend are missing out, and that is their loss.
ReplyDeleteI have noticed this too last year and this year. If you try to drive anywhere after 4pm fridays be patient. You will be stuck in some traffic for some time because so many people are leaving to go home. I can see sometimes students need to go home to get things like food, money, forms signed, or something but other than that they should stay on campus. Stay on campus increases friendships and starts the learning experience of being on your own. Learning to live on your own is part of the college experience.
ReplyDeleteWell Slippery Rock is a well known suitcase school. Meaning that everyone goes home on the weekends. Its mostly because people work at home. I personally never go home because everyone I know stays here on the weekends..
ReplyDeleteI noticed that my freshman year. It was wierd to go out around campus and nobody was around. I however go home on the weekends usually because like most people i work. I stay up here when i can but i am paying my way through school and need to make the money.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you Bill. I am a sophmore and this is my second year of staying on campus. Many people go home on the weekends and sometimes I don't underdstand why they go home every week. I know on the weekends, people have to find things to do to entertain themsevles. Maybe that is why many people go home, since they know what to do in their home towns. I believe that the campus should have more activites organize during the weekends then on the weekdays. This way the students who stay on the weekends will be entertain.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean. Last year I was one of the freshman that went home a lot, I got really home sick. This year although, I find myself only wanting to go home for really important family events, but I think that is because I feel like Slippery Rock is more like home. Last my roommate and I didn’t get along and since my hometown is only an hour away I went home a lot. My roommates this year on the other hand are so much fun and I love rooming with them. There is nothing to go here on the weekends though. It seems to me that SRU schedules events during the week because everyone goes home. The only big event that I can think of that is on the weekend is homecoming. Although a lot of people went home for that last year. I understand that there is a tight budget but really it would be nice to have something to do on campus on the weekends.
ReplyDelete