Living on campus for 2 years has been a wonderful experience with meeting new people, getting
acquainted to the campus, and adjusting to living on your own. I really don't know where I am going to live next year but my friends and I are discussing about it. Living on-campus is really expensive compared to the off-campus rates. The Rock Apartments seem like a nice choice, being close to campus and $2,548 a semester. That is about $570 a month, considering we are in school about 9 months out of the year. Another choice was the Ivy, which was about a 2-minute drive from the campus. The Ivy includes 2-4 bedroom fully-furnished apartments including utilities for $510-550 a month. Still, a little less expensive than the Rock Apartments but it includes larger bedrooms and better furniture and upgraded cable. Looking at other apartments, we found the Heights. The Heights are beautiful condo apartments with large rooms, beautiful furniture, and includes all utilities except for water and electricity. The price is $425 a month, not taking into consideration the water and electric bill. In the end, shopping for an apartment can be a stressful time, but with careful planning and researching, people will make the right choice and be happy with their apartment at Slippery Rock.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I personally would go with the Ivy. I have had my experience at the dorms, at good ol' Bard Hall then had my first renting experience at south rock with the apartment store. This leasing company is horrible, I would suggest never renting off of them and they have the heights, south rock apartments, and the new apartments off of Elm Street by the Towers. I feel that the best choice is the Ivy, it is completely furnished and you do not have to pay for any utilities, this is because they are included into the rent. Other off campus apartmnets are rent then plus utilities which in the hot or cold months can be a killer. I would suggest the Ivy if you want completly furinished apartment at a fair price. Kiester and Martha Rose would be my other choices for a cheap apartment but that is not furnished. Also, what is a pain in the butt is getting hooked up to cable for television and the internet. There is a lot of pro's or con's for finding the right apartment for you, but I hoenstly feel it is a lot better being in the dorms especially once you're of age and it seemsm like you're only with freshman.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love the Ivy. They have such large rooms and the fact that it is just a flat rate each month is nice. I think paying for rent and utilities, like water and eletricity, is a pain. They are close to campus yet not as congested as I feel some of the other apartment complexes are around here, like campus side. I think a smart move would be to go with the Ivy or someplace like that. It is nice to live on campus, but after a couple years you feel better to be off on your own even more and not surrounded by alot of freshman all the time. But everyone's taste is different for what they like. Goodluck shopping around !
ReplyDeleteThe Ivy and the Heights are really nice. Have you ever been to Stone Crest? That's where I live with 3 other people. They too are pretty nice. They just built our building so we are the first people to live in it which is nice. We pay 475 a month, not including utilities.
ReplyDeleteI lived at the Ivy for a year, it was at the time when no happy bus used to go that way, so getting to and from class especially in the winter time, was not fun. So i opted out of there and moved to campus side, not only is campus side one of the cheapest places around it is also very conveniant. Yes you do have to buy your own furniture but if you are thinking of getting a job straight after college, then you are already one step ahead. The bills are never to much either, the tops i pay is $20 a month between four of us. I highly recommend them!!
ReplyDeleteI think it also depends if you have a car or not! If you do not I would maybe go for the Rock Apartments. Even though the Happy bus goes to the Ivy and I think the Heights, it could be a hassle. But if you have a car I would definitely go for the Ivy. It is a little bit more expensive but it come fully furnished with the laundry machines a full kitchen and a living room full of furniture! I have a few friends who are living there now and they love it, but I've heard it can be very noisy! Also trying to find a close commuter parking spot on campus I've heard it can be hard. It just all depends what you are looking for and what you want more!!
ReplyDeleteI understand what you mean Bill. I am currently in the Rock Apartments and they are very nice, but at the same time, the rooms are somewhat crammed. I like it a lot better than the dorms last year, but I would seriously think off campus. It's just an added freedom, it is cheaper, and you don't have as many worries. You can have people in and out as you please and that is important. It is a pain to go sign them in or throw your key out the window. I don't want to discourage you from the Rock Apartments, but if you are thinking of options I would seriously check out the Ivy first.
ReplyDeleteI agree the Ivy is a nice place to live. If you are trying to go a little cheaper, campus side is less expensive per month. It's 400 a month, but even cheaper is Cooper Street Apartments. It's 525 a month but it's for both of the roommates. Electric is included, you just have to pay for water, and you have to get cable and internet on your own but that together from armstrong is only 81 a month. So if you and one roommate would live there it would be only around 325 a month, plus food. Good luck on apartment shopping!
ReplyDelete